Offre d’emploi: Contrat post-doctoral ANR SYSRI-30
Postdoctoral Fellowships in Data-driven Research on French Interwar Banking History (economics, history, sociology, accounting and management, political sciences)
The newly established multidisciplinary project “Systemic Risk in the 1930s” (SYSRI-30) opens a postdoctoral fellowship in data-driven banking history. The project, based at the Paris School of Economics and funded by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche, aims at studying the causal dynamics of banking crisis during the Great Depression in France, their impact on the performances of French economy at national and regional levels, and the systemic risk management by the monetary authorities, with a genuine interdisciplinary approach based on quantitative and qualitative exploitation of primary and secondary sources. This is the first large quantitative project on French banks and banking panics during the interwar period.
1. Job description
The post-doctoral fellow will be working within the project’s scientific team made of researchers in economics, history, management, social sciences, and computer science. She will be responsible for (a) the implementation of the databases in cooperation with both the administrator of the Equipment of Excellence “Data for Financial History” Database and the banking archivists’ team supporting the project; (b) their exploitation with the scientific team of the SYSRI-30 project according to her scientific interests (history and sociology of statistics, political economy of banking regulation, economic effects of banking crises, etc.).
The post-doctoral fellow will be expected to contribute to the building of a collective expertise on and tools for data-driven historical research and digital history and to the coordination of the project as well. The candidate will benefit from the interactions with the Equipment of Excellence “Data for Financial History” team (specialized in building financial history databases) and the PSE economic history group. We welcome candidates interested in the history of banking crises, banking regulation and financial statistics, whatever their discipline.
– PhD in economics, history, sociology, accounting and management, political sciences
– Experience in implementation of historical (financial) databases from archival sources
– Linguistic skills: very good proficiency in reading French; fluency in English.
3. About us
The project is supervised by a committee formed by Patrice Baubeau (IDHES-Paris Ouest & Sciences Po-Paris), Eric Monnet (Banque de France and PSE), and Angelo Riva (Project coordinator, EBS-Paris and PSE).
4. About the SYSRI-30 project
About the Equipment of Excellence “Data for Financial History”
About the Paris School of Economics
About the Agence Nationale de la Recherche
– 1-year fixed-term contract, renewable
– Starting Date: as soon as possible
– According to the French standards, the Post-Doctoral Researcher will be paid 27kEur net/year, which include social coverage.
– the post-doctoral fellow will share an office in the premises of the Paris School of Economics, 48 Bd Jourdan, 75014 Paris
6. Application procedure
Review of applications will begin on November, 2016 and continue until the position is closed. Application materials must be in PDF format and include:
– A cover letter
– A CV
– One letter of reference, and the name, current position, and contact details for two other potential referees
– One (working) paper or chapter authored by the applicant
7. Application/Further information
All applicants should send their application files and question to Patrice Baubeau (firstname.lastname@example.org), Eric Monnet (Eric.MONNET@banque-france.fr) and Angelo Riva (email@example.com).